20110128

An interesting night at the Mercury Cafe... Janet Feder and EJ?

Janet - Bulb Zoom
Had a really interesting night at the Mercury Cafe in Denver.  I was there to see Janet Feder perform... she's a fellow member of blOrk, and a good friend of mine.  She will be performing in Nate Wheelers show, September Sixth, tonight and tomorrow (01.28/29) alongside Mark McCoin, Michael Theodore, and Curtis Broome.  Also, as part of my resolve to actually use my camera more... I brought it to the cafe to document the concert.  Didn't really think this would be interesting at all, but the universe works in mysterious ways...

I arrived a little early and was disappointed that Janet wasn't there yet... I forgot that she of course had rehearsal for Nate's show.  After grabbing a beer and looking for a good seat, I saw an elderly gentleman at a table and asked to share his table, as it was in a prime location.  I did a double take when he told me, "My name is EJ".  I had found another EJ in the world!  Turns out that Janet and EJ are friends from many years ago, so naturally, I grabbed a picture or two to email to them later.  By the way, EJ is part of a Glacier franchise and caters parties...  oh, and he also works as a professional wine pairer, or as he likes to say the Director of Happiness.

EJ and Janet

I also was playing with the bulb settings on my camera, doing some 'light painting' (not 'light' painting).  I had a few interesting results, usually when in combination with some focus shifting.  The lighting was really poor, so I had to try to get a good exposure shot without too much movement, but that proved difficult, and I was only able to get one usable shot.  Plus the DSLR makes a lot of noise, and that's not nice to do when people are performing.  So I didn't get a lot of (good) pictures.  But I do have more bulb shots here.

2 seconds, zoom out

The theme of the evening was "Other People's Music".  Janet crafted her personality into the four songs she chose to share.  Her first was a dark version of "Come as You Are" sung in Janet's ethereal voice.  The song was based on her song "Planned to Live"... as Janet says, just because its someone else's song doesn't mean I have to use their chords... or lyrics.  That's just part of her spunky, unstoppable personality.  She also performed a strikingly powerful version of Blowing in the Wind by Dylan.  Finally she played "The Blackest Crow"... with her own lyrics of course, so she calls it "My Blackest Crow".  This song is optimistic and insightful and was a great closer.  By the way, all these songs are going to be on her new album, which I'm sure you can find out about on her website...

Janet Feder doin' her thing